Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Boys





Jonathan was so excited about our trip to Mississippi and especially eager to see his daddy again. On the drive, he kept saying, "Wait daddy, we coming!" I wondered how he would react after so many weeks of separation. But his face broke out into his happy grin when he saw Jonny at Camp Shelby. They picked up right where they left off.

I have so many pictures in my mind of the two of them. Playing at the pool. Relaxing in the hot tub. Making a tent from blankets in the condo. Playing chase. Wrestling on the ground. Building sand castles on the beach. Watching Bob the Builder. Each activity was punctuated by laughter and more laughter. To say Jonathan was a happy camper doesn't do justice to how much fun he had with his daddy.

Saying good bye was no fun. After we drove off, Jonathan kept asking me, "Daddy coming too?" I had to remind him over and over that daddy had to stay and help the soldiers for lots and lots of days. Jonathan has gone through a rough patch but is slowly coming back to himself. I had to take him to the doctor this week because he basically didn't eat or drink hardly anything for 3 days. He cried a lot and was clingy and wanted me to hold him all the time. I thought he was sick but my doctor said he was grieving. Watching him go through this has been harder than my own sadness. Nothing hurts like your child being in pain and being unable to take the pain away. I've tried to be extra demonstrative with my love and super attentive to him. We are making good progress. He is much, much better.

Jonny is making his way overseas today. It is so strange to be so far apart.

4 comments:

Mrs R said...

Dearest Rebekah,
I have tears running down my cheeks as I am blogging. I feel Jonathan's and your pain. I am thankful our Lord is giving you the wisdom and ability to tend to Jonathan's needs.

Much love to you and your family,
Rebekah,
Mrs R

Bev said...

I am so sorry that Jonathan is having such a rought time. Made me cry just reading about it. Know that we are here for you while Jonny is gone. Hope to see you Sunday.

Much love,
Bev

angie said...

oh, rebekah! that just breaks my heart to hear that he is griveing. i really have no words.

i ♥ you!! can't wait to see you LOTS tomorrow :)

McLanger said...

I am praying for your sweet little boy! I am crying as I write this, cause I know how hard it is to be separated. I will be praying for you too Bekah! Lots of Love!