Friday, October 3, 2008

God’s grace and mercy are fresh and new every day. I am learning how to rest in that as we travel this journey toward adopting Elizabeth. I am also feeling more peaceful because of a conversation we had last night with one of Jonny’s best friends from Covenant College, Jim. Jim just this year completed his medical residency and will head to Uganda in January to be a missionary doctor. I was able to ask him a lot of questions about Jennifer’s situation and he provided wisdom and a perspective that we have been lacking. I feel as though I better understand why the doctors made the decision to discharge Jennifer yesterday. Not to bore anyone with the details, basically what Jim said is that true labor can never be stopped. Jennifer’s contractions were not premature labor since the doctors were able to stop them. Also, since measuring a woman’s dilation is so subjective, there is no way she was truly 4 cm dilated upon discharge. Obstetrics is the most litigious practice in the United States, and no doctor is going to take any risk in making a decision that would induce a lawsuit. Thirty-six weeks is the magic number, Jim said, so they will not take any chances until then. So, our hope is that there are no more contractions until Jennifer is 36 weeks! Tomorrow is 35 weeks, so let’s all pray for no action for one more week.

God is also teaching me a lot about fear and how it erodes our faith. I’ve been studying the passage about Moses’ mother Jochebed, and the courage it took for her to relinquish her precious baby to the Nile. I am working at getting my thoughts about this down on paper. Hopefully, I can post more later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all of you who have been praying. I can really feel them.

No comments: